Ministry of Love

The intention of this blog is to share Biblical messages at least on a weekly basis. Any response is appreciated. I do not expect everyone to agree with my interpretation of Biblical passages. I will try to respond with love and thoughtfulness.

Friday, July 18, 2008

Musings:07/18/08,On the Shelf by John.

Musings:07/18/08, On the Shelf?

I read from I Kings 17-19 this morning. So many wonderful sermons have been preached from the various parts of these chapters, "The Winged Waitresses of the Lord," is one I remember really well. "The Brook Dried Up" was another I enjoyed reading. Another that I heard in person pictured Elijah as God's chosen man who failed and was of no more use to God. The preacher said God placed him on the shelf for the rest of his life. His point was that we must constantly go forward, or God will shelve us, and we will stagnate.

I'm sure there is a modicum of truth in that, but it smacks of the way of the world, and it caused me to wonder how many times I have preached my own message and failed to deliver God's. I know it is impossible to leave all our prejudices behind when we step into the pulpit, but we must be ever so careful to follow the Lord's Spirit! I ran across another sermon preached years ago by a minister in England. I think his name was Robertson. It was the time when women started wearing their hair in buns and beehives. It infuriated him. He was sure it was against nature! He preached from Luke 17:31, "Top Knot! Come Down!" He used "Knot" instead of "not" (from the passage), left out eleven words between "top" and "come down." He completely misused the Scripture to make a selfish point about the fashion fad of the women of that day.

Let's get back to Elijah. He was not shelved! He discovered that as strong as his faith in God was, it didn't cover being unafraid of Jezebel and Ahab. He rationalized his position because he knew he was going to face God. (All of us are!) When God asked, "What are you doing here, Elijah?" (19: 13), Elijah knew he was in a place God had not sent him. His reply included six points. 1) He had been very zealous for the Lord. 2) The Israelites had rejected God's covenant. 3) They broke down God's altars. 4) They killed God's prophets. 5) He was the only one left! 6) And they were trying to kill him!

God answered, but did not read him the riot act! He told him to go back the way he came. (That's repentance). He had three other things to do: 1) He was to anoint Hazael king over Damascus. 2) Jehu king over Israel, and 3) Elisha as the prophet to succeed him. God then simply added that He had 7,000 who had not knelt down to the idol Baal.

From the rest of the account it is obvious, Elijah also mentored Elisha. The fact that Elisha had as much, if not double, the power Elijah possessed was probably directly due to his training. God does not put people aside who have put their trust in Him. We are children of God, joint heirs of God with Christ! He made us, remade us, and can remake us again into the image of His Son Jesus. We may despair momentarily because of our lack of faith, our failures, or the looming certainty that our enemies will overcome us. It will not last! We will regain our confidence that God is in control and always be. Rebels can not stand against Him! I constantly rejoice because of the young people who, during the past 61 years, have given themselves wholeheartedly to the Lord. Most of them are serving Him now. I'm retired, but like Elijah, not on the shelf! I'm awaiting my Lord's command.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home