Ministry of Love

The intention of this blog is to share Biblical messages at least on a weekly basis. Any response is appreciated. I do not expect everyone to agree with my interpretation of Biblical passages. I will try to respond with love and thoughtfulness.

Sunday, January 03, 2010

Musings:12/26/09,So many ideas of Salvation! by John.

So many ideas of Salvation!

Does the Bible tell us what God actually requires for salvation? The answer is yes, but the question is do we understand what He tells us. A little reading shows that the world's religious authors have quite divided opinions. Almost all believe the Bible is always right, but people see things differently, and their interpretation differs.

For instance in Baptist circles much is said about "The plan of salvation." The so-called "Roman road" starts with Romans 3:23, proceeds to Romans 6:23 and then to Romans 10:9,10. For the new believer's assurance, Romans 8:1 is frequently added. Are these verses of Scripture necessary for our salvation? Is there an exact plan we are to follow? I don't think so. If you disagree, bear with me for a few lines. I will not in any way discredit the Bible. I believe it is God's Word, and I believe Jesus is that Word Who became flesh and dwelt among us for a short lifetime as a man. So what am I getting at? Remember the robber on one of the crosses next to Jesus asked Him to remember him when he came into His Own Kingdom, and Jesus said to the man, "Amen, I say to you, today with me you will be in the paradise." (That's my literal translation from Luke 23:43).

Paradise is an oriental word probably brought into Greek by the historian Xenophon according to W.E. Vine's Dictionary. It was used of parks and Persian gardens. I agree with Vine. It must have been of great comfort to that robber for Jesus to say that. I don't believe for a minute Jesus was talking about a physical place, but the word signified a place of peace, comfort and beauty. I'm sure the man understood that. Today we see that statement as important to us, also. That robber certainly was not a disciple of Jesus, or even a Jew who kept the Law. He was being crucified because he did not live the kind of life the Romans expected him to live. He didn't have the Book of Romans to read, so he could not have followed the "Roman Road." At that time, Paul would have been intent on persecuting Christians, instead of writing New Testament Books! That poor robber was not baptized in water unless John did it, and it is extremely doubtful that he did. He never joined any church. He didn't do any good works after his appeal to Jesus. Did he have the faith of a mustard seed? Jesus said that much faith could move a mountain. We don't know. No statement is made about his having any faith at all, and to surmise that he did is reading something into the account that is not there. We do tend to "spiritualize" Bible events, don't we?

So what happened? He admitted he deserved to die. He recognized Jesus as a person who did not deserve to die, perhaps much more since he used the word "kingdom" as he made his plea. We are almost forced to leap across the existing chasm presented by this to say, he had faith, aren't we? Would he have made that plea if he did not believe in life after death? Personally, I believe he had a desperate hope that Jesus was Messiah, God's only born Son. I believe he hoped for something, too. I'm not sure what that something was, but I am certain he received far more than he hoped! That little Greek word we translate as "the" specifies that Jesus spoke of something very real, something wonderful, something every person desires, and He assured this man that he met His requirements to be with Him in His kingdom! I believe Jesus spoke of heaven for He stated He was returning to His Father, and that's where He is.

There are other examples in Scripture of a somewhat similar nature, such as Enoch in Genesis 5:24, but I'll not address them now. The one already examined is enough, isn't it? I will call your attention to what God told Paul when he felt threatened in Corinth. Acts 18:9,10 says, "One night the Lord spoke to Paul in a vision; 'Do not be afraid; keep on speaking, do not be silent for I am with you and no one is going to attack and harm you, because I have many people in this city.'" Wow! "Many people!" Corinth was considered an extremely ungodly city at that time! There was no Christian church there, so how did God have "many people" there? Did someone else before Paul deliver the Gospel to them? Arguments from silence are the weakest sort. History does not record anyone delivering the Gospel there before Paul. I don't know how those people belonged to the Father, but these and other things equally beyond my understanding have caused my belief to be reenforced. Our Wonderful God is far beyond our ability to second guess Him, and I believe He has more people than any of us believe He has.

Another instance of God's people unknown to His prophet is in I Kings 19:18. After Elijah fled for his life from Jezebel, God told him He still had seven thousand people who had not bowed to, nor kissed Baal! And Elijah thought he was the only one left who worshiped God!

We sometimes speak of a person having an epiphany, meaning a life changing spiritual experience. The Bible tells us it happens frequently, but not to every person. But it is true that people do come face to face with Jesus today, not physically, but spiritually, and their lives are immediately changed forever! Others may never have one of those spiritual awakenings, but the outcome is the same. They grow up and old trusting the Lord, and that according to the way I read the Bible is sufficient.

If you have additional, or different, thoughts on this subject I will appreciate hearing from you, and I will prayerfully consider what you say.
M

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home