Ministry of Love

The intention of this blog is to share Biblical messages at least on a weekly basis. Any response is appreciated. I do not expect everyone to agree with my interpretation of Biblical passages. I will try to respond with love and thoughtfulness.

Monday, July 26, 2010

Musings07/26/10,Times and Seasons by John

Times and Seasons?

Some years ago, a person planned to visit our church and was talking with a member of another church. That person said, "You don't want to go to his church! He doesn't even believe in Christmas or Easter!" That was both true and untrue depending on what was meant.

I certainly believe in the birth of Jesus. I believe He was, and is, God's only born Son. I enjoy celebrating His birthday on December 25, but I am quite aware that His real birth day could have been another day. I don't believe we need to pay too much attention to times and seasons. When we do, I feel that we immediately begin to lose sight of the reality represented and begin to establish a tradition. In time the tradition becomes meaningless for many people. The tradition can become more important than the truth it should bring to mind.

I remember as a child I looked forward to New Year's Day, Washington's and Lincoln's birthdays, and the Fourth of July, not because of their meaning, but because on those days we bought and set off fireworks! That highlighted the days for me. Christmas can be only a day for getting gifts for many people instead of really remembering the that God gave His Son to be a flesh and blood Savior for all of us.

Each of the holy days we celebrate can be no more than a tradition we enjoy, but I believe we need to take extra care in keeping God's truth always in the foreground while we celebrate. I believe and try to keep every day holy to the Lord!

A close friend wrote me about a book she was reading that was quite specific about worshiping God on the Sabbath Day. I don't really know the details, but our calendar tells us the "seventh day," that's what Sabbath means, is Saturday. Most of us worship the Lord on Sunday. We call it the Lord's day. It is the day Christ arose from the tomb. It's just one of the seven days of the week, but if you work six days, or only five, or three, as some now do, it is a great day to worship God.

We need to remember that Colossians 2:20-23 tells us, "Since you died with Christ to the basic principles of this world, why, as though you still belonged to it, do you submit to its rules: "Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!" These are all destined to perish with use, because they are based on human commands and teachings. Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence."

It's obvious, that God is more concerned about our intentions and actions than that we follow the rules set by the world's society, and that includes church organizations.

Sabbath worship practice is manmade rule for the most part. In the Law Exodus 20: 8 says, "Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your animals, nor the alien within your gates." Did you notice anything about worship here? Of course not. We human beings don't like emptiness. Empty time gets filled with something. I'm sure you remember someone said, "An idle mind is the devil's workshop." It certainly doesn't have to be, but our minds are almost never idle, and our bodies carry out our thoughts as quickly as we think them don't they?

I'm not overlooking the many references of Sabbath worship, but simply pointing out how the Sabbath started, and I'm stating I think human beings' bodies and minds need refreshing at least one day a week. Sabbath or Sunday makes no difference to me since I plan for every day to be holy to the Lord, and I seek to worship at least privately every day.

We also need to keep in mind that we Gentiles were never included under the Law, and anyone who trusts Christ is not under the Law. Romans 6:14 says, "For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace." As Christians we are free from the Mosaic Law, but we are under "Christ's law." (I Corinthians 9:21) We are not lawless people, but neither do we expect an eye for an eye, or a tooth for a tooth, as the Old Testament said. Our law in Christ is far more comprehensive in it's application. We are to love our enemies and do good to those who misuse us. (That principle requires careful thought in application).

I have no quarrel with people who want to worship on Saturday, but I expect them to have no quarrel with me when I formally or informally worship every day of the week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home