Ministry of Love

The intention of this blog is to share Biblical messages at least on a weekly basis. Any response is appreciated. I do not expect everyone to agree with my interpretation of Biblical passages. I will try to respond with love and thoughtfulness.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Do Blind People See Better Than Seeing People? by John.

Do Blind People See God Better Than Seeing People?

Occasionally I respond to those who make comments on this blog, and I am doing that now because it may be of interest to a certain lady, or to someone else. Being physically blind does have some things in its favor. Helen Keller certainly contributed much to Christian life. Perhaps she saw God better than others of us. Dr. George Kleinschmidt, one of my closest friends in years past, was keen in his insight of others. He was the Psychiatrist in charge of the criminally insane section of a state hospital and a member of the church I served. He had a pretty severe visual problem. Once as we discussed various things, he said, "If I had the choice of being blind, or being deaf, I'd choose blind." That piqued my curiosity and I asked why. He answered saying, "I've known quite a few totally blind and deaf people. The deaf always seem to be on edge, unhappy, and irritable with others. The blind always seem to be happy and at peace with everyone." That was about fifty-five years ago, so I may not have quoted him exactly.

I gave that a lot of thought never thinking that I might experience some of both in years to come. I had already lost some hearing probably as the result of the big guns on ship immediately after WW II, and I was always quite near-sighted, but about that time, I was being treated for glaucoma. George may have said that for my benefit. The glaucoma advanced steadily in spite of all doctors did to stop it. I now have ninety-seven percent loss of vision, including the macula, in my left eye, and ninety-five percent in my right eye. The right macula is still clear. I gave up driving almost three years ago, and now instead of a driver's license I proudly possess a state identification card with my picture that says, "Non-driver's ID." I can still see to walk, but I don't cross many busy streets alone. My Senior Center friends tell me I still shoot a pretty good game of billiards, and I enjoy doing it.

I don't know that I perceive God better than any person with good vision who seeks to know God.

My faith in God tells me that if it is His will for me to be blind so that I can see Him better, He will grant me that spiritual vision. James 1:17 says, "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." I also believe He gifts us according to what He wants us to do while we are on this earth. That leads me to say at this point, I think I see Him as He wants me to. I believe I would understand His Word and see Him spiritually much better anyway if I was not so self-centered. My ego constantly hinders my spiritual life. I believe that is true for almost all, if not all, people.

Ancient Greek's religion was pantheism, but their stories showed a lot of insight into our human situation. For instance, Achilles' mother dipped him in the river Styx thinking it would make him invincible, and he almost was. She missed getting his heel wet, and that's where we get the term, "Achilles' heel." A randomly shot arrow, as I remember, pierced his heel, and it killed him. Like him, I believe the very best of us have something in our lives that is so flawed as to cause us severe spiritual trouble. James 3:2 says, "We all stumble in many ways. If anyone is never at fault in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to keep his whole body in check." At first reading, it sounds like James contradicted himself. He included everyone when he said we stumble, or sin. Then he said that if anyone always speaks without fault, he is perfect. "Perfect" in Greek does not mean flawless, or faultless. It means mature, or complete.

The first part agrees with Romans 3:23 and other Scriptures that also tell us we are all sinners needing to confess our sins to God for cleansing and redirection. In I Corinthians 13: 12 Paul said, "Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known." He was aware that none of us see God like we should. We don't even see ourselves or others around us as we ought. In a way, we are living contradictions. Romans chapter 7 covers that well.

Back to spiritual vision, that's something I believe I'd like to have, but it is not mine to achieve. It is God's gift if He so chooses. Perhaps He doesn't give it at all. Perhaps we could not live with what it would reveal to us. I'm willing to wait to find out some day. In the meantime, I plan to do the best with what I have whether seeing physically, or being physically blind. "To be, or not to be, that is the question," is an oft-quoted phrase by a Shakespearean character. I don't see it as an option for a Christian. Personally I settled that long ago by casting all my care on Jesus, and I am happy with Him in whatever state I find myself. I know there are others much closer to the Lord than I am, and there are still others not nearly as close. That is not important to self-value. Each of us must relate to the Lord individually. Together we all form the church Jesus died to create even though some of us may not even recognize our relationship to each other. I've attended many "Monday Preacher's Meetings" which turned into bragging sessions about how many baptisms each one had, and how high their Sunday School attendance was. It is easy to fall into competition with others, but I refuse to compete with brothers and sisters; yet, I do strive to know the Lord better, and if I can, I'll pull others along with me. I hope those closer to God than I am will do the same for me. With all this, I remember, "I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead." That's Philippians 3:10, 11. A dear old saint in California pointed those verses out to me in 1946 while I was on liberty in Long Beach. I've adopted them as one of my "life" verses, and I'll always remember her for bringing them to my attention.