Ministry of Love

The intention of this blog is to share Biblical messages at least on a weekly basis. Any response is appreciated. I do not expect everyone to agree with my interpretation of Biblical passages. I will try to respond with love and thoughtfulness.

Thursday, January 06, 2011

Teaching, Instructing and Telling, by John.

Teaching, Instructing and Telling, by John.

I remember in high school that I thought teachers were really appreciated, and I guess they were, but they were certainly underpaid. My home state, Mississippi, still has a lower pay scale for teachers than most other states. Instructors in many cases get higher pay, and that indicates they have more value to John Q Public, doesn't it?

We use the word "instructor" and "teacher" as synonyms, don't we? As I think about this, is there a difference between the two terms? There is to me. I like to think of myself as a teacher/preacher/minister, but sometimes I think I am an instructor, and many times just a teller. Instructors give their designated group the "how to" to accomplish given assignments. Teachers frequently do the same with homework and sometimes fit all three terms. Sometimes both result only in telling their hearers who may be totally disinterested.

What's the difference? Well, I am thoroughly convinced that teachers give much more of themselves than instructors, or tellers. I remember Miss Hester Long who taught me mathematics in the seventh grade. I struggled with it, but only made failing grades. She called my mother, and said she was not going to fail me, that she would keep me after school and tutor me until I caught up with my class. That dear lady spent hours of her so-called free time every weekday afternoon with me. By the end of the term, I was able to start helping other kids with their homework. I'll admit I was lazy. I would rather be playing some kind of ball, but she found ways to get past that laziness, and she did what it took to get me to do my best. I'll always remember her for the gift of herself to me all those hours. My family never gave her a nickel for her wonderful service. She performed that great service for me because she was an instructor, but also a real, caring teacher!

I had capable instructors in the Navy. I either learned from them, or not. As far as I could tell, they didn't care one way or another. One of my college professors called me in and asked me how I expected her to give me a recommendation as a teacher when I graduated if I didn't do better work. She and I were the same denomination, and she knew I was going to be a minister, not a public school teacher. I replied to her rather sharply that I never planned to ask for her recommendation. She never did more than give me instructions and examinations as well as I can remember. Another professor, Speech and Drama, attended a church where I was serving as Interim Pastor while the regular pastor recuperated from a heart attack and the ensuing surgery. She was present when I preached on my first Sunday. On Monday after class, she asked if I would like for her to critique my delivery each week. She assured me she would not deal with, or question, the content of the messages, but their structure and delivery. I told her I would really appreciate it. There was never any doubt in my mind that she was a real teacher and a wonderful person. Miss Williams was a real teacher, a wonderful person, and I am thankful for her work in my life. I owe so much to these and others who gave themselves to make me a better person.

Of all those instructors in the Navy, I do not remember any of their names, and I'm afraid I do not remember very much of the data they disseminated either. I may be making an unnecessary difference in these three words, but to me, they have a very real distinctive difference. I thank God for the teachers in my life, and I like to think that I am still a student even now. I really also appreciate the people who have studied the Bible, learned Hebrew and Greek, and then spent underpaid years in God's service to help students aspiring to serve God better. Every one who taught me showed real caring for every student, and I still think of each of them as real friends though most of have gone to be with the Lord now. I look forward to joining them, and I hope to achieve the high office of teacher before I do. I've been working on it for more than sixty years now, but I do not think I've achieved the level of teaching that I should.

If you instruct others, talk to the Lord about giving yourself to your students. I believe no greater blessing can come to a student than to become his teacher's equal in giving knowledge to another person.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home