Ministry of Love

The intention of this blog is to share Biblical messages at least on a weekly basis. Any response is appreciated. I do not expect everyone to agree with my interpretation of Biblical passages. I will try to respond with love and thoughtfulness.

Friday, December 31, 2010

musings123110, The Beginning and the End, by John.

The Beginning and the End?

This is the last day of the year 2010, and it is rapidly drawing to a close, ten pm as I write. When the first day Genesis recorded in chapter one, none of us know. We don't know when the end day of life as we know it is to arrive either.

The Old Testament prophets expecting their prophecies to be fulfilled in the near future for the most part. Of those that were later considered to be for the distant future by Israel's students of the Scripture have been fulfilled in part. One particular group of prophecies was fulfilled in the birth, life, death and resurrection of Jesus, but some have yet to be fulfilled. Most of Israel's scholars did not see God's coming Savior as dying on a cross. They saw Him as leading Israel's armies to victory over their oppressors whether it was some ruler from the near east, or Rome.

Today the Christian community is not divided over the birth and life of Jesus, but over when and how He will return to claim His Church. The differing views should not disrupt Christian fellowship, nor should the views of the exact way Jesus saves. We should accept our different ideas and look to Christ as the unifying Person of all who follow Him.

All of us have two "New Year" celebrations every year. Some make more of them than others. The most obvious one takes place tonight. I've watched the ball descend in New York City for many years. I think the first time was in a movie news clip long before television became available. I may watch it again tonight. The second "New Year" celebration is perhaps better called a birthday, perhaps a celebration of living another year.

How much difference does such a celebration make? A million people are gathering around the square in New York tonight. A lot of them will have a hangover headache tomorrow. More importantly, our end of life on earth is the most important one for which we need preparation. Preparation requires a whole lifetime because we don't know when it is going to happen. We do know it is going to happen. Hebrews 9:27,28 says; "Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment, so Christ was sacrifced once to take away the sins of many people; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him." Death is coming to all of us, unless we are living when Jesus comes. I Thessalonians 4:15-18 says, "According to the Lords own word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left till the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. Therefore encourage each other with these words." Everyone not alive at that time has already faced physical death. Neither they nor we will precede the other as we approach the Lord. Our station in life will not make any difference either. All of us are alike in that respect.

So why all the present celebrations when we know that future one will be the greatest of all celebrations? Well, we seem to have a need to celebrate, don't we? I think so, and it is obvious we do a lot of it from time to time. I find no problem with godly celebrations. (Put the accent on "godly"). I do find a problem with unbridled revelry that leaves God out, and I don't want to take part in such revelry.
I gave God first place in my life in 1946. I've frequently gone my own way and suffered for it. Not necessarily that God punished me, but rather that ungodly ways always bear ungodly fruit! My goal every day is for God to be in first place in my life. That is necessary for me, and I believe it is necessary for everyone who calls himself Christian.

If I can stay awake, I'll enjoy seeing that huge ball descend in New York tonight. If I have to sleep, it won't bother me. My great celebration will come when I leave this world and assuredly discover my faith in Christ was not in vain. Like Paul, I now say, "I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day." (II Timothy 1:12).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home