Ministry of Love

The intention of this blog is to share Biblical messages at least on a weekly basis. Any response is appreciated. I do not expect everyone to agree with my interpretation of Biblical passages. I will try to respond with love and thoughtfulness.

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Pain, Gift or Curse? by John.

I've lived a long time, and I've experienced a normal amount of pain I suppose, but I've not experienced nearly as much pain as WW II soldiers who were prisoners of war, nor the pain the Jews suffered at that time. I think no normal person looks forward to suffering. I'm becoming more familiar with pain now, and as much as we don't like it, I think we should consider it a gift from God. As a simple illustration, can you imagine breaking an ankle and walking around on it without pain? It would probably result in death very quickly.

Pain is God's gift to help us stay healthy. Early in our lives we stop doing most of the things that cause pain. One of the things I did as my children grew was swat them on the rear end when they reached for something on the hot stove. Thankfully that helped avoid the much worse perhaps life threatening burns.

With pain, God also gave us myriads of plants that relieve the suffering at least to some degree. One of the plants in the USA used in the early days of this country for toothaches is the Aralia Spinosa, or Devil's Walking Stick. Another was Slippery Elm used to help medicines easier to swallow. Many plants are still used today in a more purified form. I've used Digoxin for my heart for many years. I it comes from Digitalis plants.

These are just a few of God's gifts to spare us too much pain, and there are so many, many more! I can't remember thanking God for the pain I've had, can you? But I have thanked him for the medicines that have kept me in relatively good health for so long.

One of my good friends requested prayer for a co-laborer today, and I've already been praying for both of them. I certainly believe God answers our prayers and heals us of our sicknesses. I think He usually does it with a quiet touch, but I also believe doctors are a gift to the whole human race. I wrote my friend immediately saying much of what I'm saying here, but a little more.

I am wondering if our Father allows illness so that we will personally turn to Him for help, and if in turning to Him, we also ask others to join us in prayer for healing. In I Thessalonians 5:17, Paul urged the Christians there to pray without ceasing and to give thanks in everything.

These are just some thoughts about our daily life here in this world where we are being prepared for the glory of heaven. I believe our gifts far outrank our needs, and I agree with Paul that we need to pray and give thanks constantly... I think I will stop and give thanks for everything God has given me including pain, medicines and doctors who know how to use those medicines.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home